It is not unusual to start off a task with so much energy then lose it along the way. Maintaining motivation in any given activity is no mean task. It could be starting a business, an exercise regime, writing a book, eating healthy, a new job, a community project and so on. What do you do when the energy seems to have ran out yet the task is still a far way off? Here are some tips to keep you motivated along the way:
- Set Goals: Identify what you want to achieve and set a timeline. Break the bigger goal into small goals and do the same. If the big goal is to be achieved for instance in one year, have monthly goals as well. That will give way to weekly goals from where you’ll map out your daily activities. You’ll wake up every day knowing exactly what you’re required to do and that will give you a sense of direction.
- Surround yourself with the Right People: It is said that if you hang out with 4 negative/positive/rich/poor people; you’ll be the fifth. You cannot ignore the influence of the people around you. Surround yourself with optimists who believe in you. Let them also be progressive in their own lives so you can draw inspiration from each other along the way.
- Read/listen to motivational content: There is plenty of content from life coaches and motivational speakers that can re-ignite your passion for life and your goals. Make time for such content on a daily basis. Most people prefer to consume such content in the morning so that they can embark on their day with vigour.
- Take Control: Good things don’t just happen; they’re brought forth with good planning, dedication and hard work. Instead of sitting back and complaining about circumstances, start where you are and with what you have. Every small step will motivate you for the next, and before long you’ll have something tangible to show for your efforts.
- Mistakes are Lessons: Every time you take a wrong turn, dust yourself and get back up. Identify what got you there in the first place and avoid it in future. Every successful person has made plenty of mistakes; but they refuse to get stuck and forge ahead.
- Celebrate Accomplishments: Every time you achieve a goal, however small, take time to appreciate your effort. It does not have to be expensive or time consuming. You can treat yourself to your favourite meal, buy a new outfit, get a new hairstyle or anything else that will make you happy. This will give you something to look forward to as you embark on the next goal.
With these tips, you can now start afresh and believe that you’ll make it to the end. Remember every successful task will give you more energy for the next one; and you owe it to yourself to make every day count.