There are a number of foods you should avoid during pregnancy as they pose the danger of harming your unborn baby or causing food poisoning.
- Undercooked Meat: Some recipes especially in fine dining involve semi-cooked meat. This should be avoided during pregnancy. All meat should be cooked until there is no trace of blood or pink. This also applies to sausages and your favorite nyama choma (roast meat). Undercooked meat contains parasites which can cause infections.
- Cheese: This contains bacteria which can cause infections. Some cheese also contain raw milk which is not recommended during pregnancy.
- Raw/undercooked eggs: Avoid these at all cost, as well as products that contain them such as home-made mayonnaise. The eggs should be solid cooked.
- Caffeine: You don’t have to cut it off completely, but you should definitely limit the intake. High caffeine levels can result in babies with low birth weight. Excess caffeine can also lead to a miscarriage. Caffeine is mostly found in drinks.
- Alcohol: Booze is bad for you whether you’re pregnant or trying to get pregnant. Excessive exposure to alcohol has adverse effects on the baby. How about wine? Most experts say that an occasional glass of wine will do no harm. You can also go for non-alcoholic wine. No price too high to pay for your baby; is there?